Monday, September 5, 2011

Birding HarveDeGrace, Maryland

For my Our World post and to show my Tern's I am linking with World Bird Wednesday

On Saturday, hubby and I decided to do some walking and birding at HarveDeGrace, Md. It is a waterfront town and has a nice boardwalk on the waterfront. We spent a good part of our visit watching the Terns diving into the water. They are amazing to watch as they just kind of fall from the sky and dive into the water. They kind of reminded me of how the Northern Gannets dive into the water.


The Forster's Tern is about 14 inches in length. They nest in salt marshes and on barrier beaches. My field guide has that the older juvenile has a black eye patch.





After checking out the dark spot around the eye and the beak color I am still guessing at this id. But, I believe it is the juvenile Forster's tern.

So far I have been seeing Forster's Terns, Common Terns and Caspian Terns. I am still on the lookout for the Black Terns.






HarveDeGrace, Md is a fun town with a nice park, marina, lots of antique stores and great restaurants. Hubby and I chose to eat an early dinner at Chipparelli's Italian restaurant. We were familiar wth the famous Chiparelli's restaurant of Little Italy in Baltimore City. It is nice that they opened a new place in HarveDeGrace.



A walk along the boardwalk was mostly birdless except for the Terns and some seagulls. The water was a high level and the herons we usually see were not around on this day.


The lighthouse look small in size but I always enjoy seeing lighthouses so, I had to have a photo of this HarveDeGrace lighthouse.

There were many people in the park area enjoying Labor Day weekend picnics.



I hope you enjoyed my Tern and tour of HarveDeGrace, Md. Please visit Our World for more wonderful post and photos and to see more great birds make you sure you visit Springman's World Bird Wednesday.

Thanks to the host of Our World: Arija, Gattna, Lady Fi, Sylvia and Sandy and also thanks to Springman of World Bird Wednesday.

Thanks also for visiting my post and blog, I hope everyone has a great week.

44 comments:

  1. Great hike Eileen. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do dive like Northern Gannets, don't they?
    A super photo tour, Eileen. I enjoyed the lighthouse, the various terns, and pictures from your turn around the boardwalk.
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did enjoy the tour, Eileen. Thanks. I guess your husband must be a birder too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a beautiful lighthouse!

    Only in your blog I see different species of birds!

    Love the choppy waters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great tour! I do love the water, the lighthouse and, of course, the many beautiful birds! Thanks for sharing the beauty! Hope you have a great week, Eileen!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. The diving birds look like they’re having great fun but as for me … I’d rather be sailing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Tern, diving. It is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a pretty place. and enjoyed the diving shots too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely place to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful shots of the terns. I also love the lighthouse. All of the shots were good and it looks like such a fun place to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a wonderful place for bird watching. the lighthouse is cool. lovely shots.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like a very interesting place to visit and the photos of the terns diving are especially nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny, I just posted some photos of terns that were giving me a hard time with ID... They are so much fun to watch fish!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. One good tern deserves another! http://mymuskoka.blogspot.com/2009/06/skywatch-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tour so well related with pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful shots of the place. Very nice place for birding.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for taking us on your tour. I especially like the little lighthouse. Your mosaics are always great, too.
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fast moving birds can be hard to shoot - great job catching htem in "dive".

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great waterfront and spectacular dive shots. I know how hard it is to capture a fast flying bird and when it drops to dive, it is even harder.

    I would love to walk along the boardwalk when the tide recedes and the shore birds return.

    Thanks for posting and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful nature shots Eileen, especially of the birds diving...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great image series. The lighthouse is beautiful. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's a real beautiful place ! I would love to walk in there too !

    ReplyDelete
  23. The lighthouse is delightful and looks very old.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a small but charming lighthouse! And I love the terns diving. There is something very invigorating about being by the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi there - I see what you mean about them looking like Gannets - thats what I thought they were as the post opened.

    Cant complain about Terns though!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow I love the way they dive into the water. It looks a nice town to visit for and outing. I enjoy walking on boardwalks.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great pictures - love the elegant terns.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for inviting me along, I had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  29. We love coastal towns and this one sounds charming. The lighthouse looks almost miniature.

    I love to watch terns too -- and your description of their dives is great. I have a hard time distinguishing the various types though. I need a birding class!

    ReplyDelete
  30. That looks like a beautiful place, you've got some nice shots here.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ah, I can hear sea gulls now! Love it! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  32. You had wonderful hike! Lovely post!
    Hugs:)
    Joo

    ReplyDelete
  33. A wonderful post... beautiful images and a lovely read.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful photos from your walk! It looks like a very nice place to visit:)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great Photos of Everything Eileen! Really enjoyed the tour and the birds - your blog is always interesting and fun to read and look at. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Looks like a lovely way to spend the day. The lighthouse may be small, but it made for a great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  37. you seem to have so many great places here you live.

    Were you affeacted of Irene? I think you live in that area. We had a bit of it here as a lot of rain a couple of days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Looks like yet another of your great birding places Eileen. Super shots of the terns diving headlong like that, it must have been wonderful to see and hear them like that.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love your diving shots, Eileen - and you got a two-fer

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks for taking us on this wonderful walk Eileen!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your photos show it to be a lovely place! I love the shot of the diving Terns!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Such a wonderful visit, and beautiful photographs!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thank you for visiting my blog. I always appreciate your comments.

BTW, Anonymous comments unless a name is included will not be published. Also, comments with links will be deleted.

Have a happy day, Eileen

Happy Monday!

Wishing everyone a great day and a ha ppy new week! "One small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day." "T...